About the Campaign
The Project arises of the need to generate consciousness about environmental issues. Its purpose is for the community to get the necessary knowledge and sensitivity towards environmental issues and understand the fragility of nature and what it represents, to take consciousness of the need to care of and adopt reflexive and critical behaviors about the daily activities that lead to the destruction of the environment.
Creates a sense of belonging with nature through ludic work, it pretends to discover our true place in nature and the importance to keep it well balanced.
The understanding that teaching in direct contact with nature requires taking into account several aspects so that the experience includes and constitutes a significant learning process:
It teaches less and it communicates more. Although the theoretical concepts have to be taught, it’s important not to confuse the participants with them. For example, if someone says that sharks are voracious predators, it’s also important to tell them the importance that this animal has for the ocean ecosystem. By sharing with them our own perceptions, we will promote that they get in touch with their own feelings.
- Try to be receptive. We have to know how to listen and let the interest flow freely, trying to keep focus on the subject matter.
- Look, experience and then speak. Let the participants experience with all their senses the experience that is in front of them.
- The evaluation is in groups. Each participant expresses the feelings they experienced throughout the development of the project.
The project consists of two stages:
- Scanning the affected population.
- Workshops and awaking talks:
- Promote the integral knowledge of the environment.
- Bring the local cultural environmental values back. (Work with native communities).
- Identify the consequences of human influence in the environment.
- Boost the participation, sensitivity and awareness of the local population.
- Discuss strategies to promote sustainable development.
- Implement specific methodologies of citizen participation.
- Develop a process to train local leaders.
- Promote citizen participation.
- Establish strategic alliances between the community, the governmental organisms and non-governmental organizations to promote the coastal development.
Methodology to create and implement The Environmental Education Program
Participant Selection: Local kids and teenagers from the area.
The environmental education programs are designed to attend the environmental, educational, and communitarian needs previously identified, and also should produce benefits that respond responsibly to those needs.
- Condition or Environmental Issue.
- Inventory of programs and materials.
- Needs of the social actors towards whom the program is directed to.
This prior 3 pointers will be obtained by interviews, surveys, and focus groups.
2. Policies and capacity of the organization
The environmental education programs support and complement the mission, in the purpose and the goals of the organization that promotes the education actions, in this case Planet Conservation S.A. that’s why is so important that there is:
- Congruence with the priorities of the community.
- Identification of the need of the program by the community.
- Inventory of the resources of the community.
3. Reach and structure of the program
The environmental education programs must be designed with very well defined goals and objectives that clearly show how they would contribute to increase awareness in the community people about their natural and social environment: Goals and objectives of the program, Congruence with the goals and objectives of the environmental education program, format and instrumentation of the program, partnerships and collaboration.
4. Resources to run the project
The programs of environmental education require careful planning, to ensure the availability of the resources to achieve its goals and objectives. These resources are: trained staff, financing, adequate facilities, materials, among others:
- Evaluation of the resources needed.
- Quality education personnel.
- Administration of the facilities.
- Supply of support materials.
- Planning for emergency cases.
5. Quality and relevance of the program
The environmental education programs must be grounded in detailed planning and quality education materials.
- Good quality materials and education techniques.
- Field tests.
- Promotion and dissemination.
The environmental educations programs define and review critically their results improve the actual programs to assign responsibilities and maximize the good results in future efforts.
- Determination of evaluation strategies.
- Effective evaluation criteria and technics.
- Usage of the results of the evaluation.
- Identify Environmental Issues that the goal population considers a priority. And the possible solutions to this issues from their own perspective.
- Propose participative strategies of sustainable solutions to this issues that involve actively the goal population.
- Establish relations with organizations and institutions interested in financing and acting as a strategic link to socialize and apply the proposal.
Scopes and limitations
- The Project expects to help in the improvement of the quality of life of the communities and the next generations, in addition to raising awareness in the community of the importance of the conservation of the environment.
- Develop activities of education and recreation for the community.
- Lack of politics aimed to strengthening the awareness and the environmental education.
- Lack of information of institutions that can support to the training and implementation of the project.
- Lack of interest or participation by the local residents.
- Lack of financing to promote the project.
The operation and duration of the project depends on the availability of funds to cover the expenses needed for the support of the project. To secure the staff, to provide the materials, to be able to bring additional people to offer workshops and lectures on the topic of environmental awareness, recycling and sustainability among others, and to offer a broader vision of what is available to the community.
Our goal is to secure a funding source of $25,000 each year.
Here you can find the project expenses of the year.